Distribution of Coronavirus Local Fiscal Recovery Funds
The U.S. Department of the Treasury through the Coronavirus Local Fiscal Recovery Fund provided a critical source of relief for smaller local governments, many of which have not received direct fiscal assistance from the federal government since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. Non-entitlement units of local government (NEUs) are cities serving populations less than 50,000. The State of Iowa is responsible for distributing these funds to NEUs within Iowa. Award amounts are based on the population of the NEU.
Distributions from the Local Fiscal Recovery Fund to state, then subsequently NEUs are being done in two tranches. The first tranche payments were sent out in 2021 after the state received its payment on July 23, 2021. The second tranche payment to be made in 2022 no earlier than July 23, 2022, following U.S. Department of Treasury requirements, which is 12 months after the date on which the first tranche payment was paid to the state.
Use the filters below to filter allocation and payment information by city or by status.
The following table highlights funds allocated to cities with populations less than 50,000 people.
- Status is the city's status regarding the NEU allocation. Status is one of the following: Submitted - Participated, Submitted - Transfer to State, Reallocation - No Response, and Reallocation - Requested Transfer to NEUs
- Original Allocation is the amount of funds a city is eligible to receive from first and second tranche is based on the following formula: (Total population of the city/Total population of all eligible cities) X Aggregate state NEU payment.
- Reallocation Adjustment is the adjustment made to the original allocation allocation of funds in instances where a city remained unresponsive after reasonable efforts to contact them, or have declined the funding.
- Adjusted full allocation is the sum of the original allocation and the reallocation adjustment.
The first tranche payments were sent out in 2021 after the state received its payment on July 23, 2021. The second tranche payment to be made no earlier than July 23, 2022, following U.S. Department of Treasury requirements, which is 12 months after the date on which the first tranche payment was paid to the state.
- First Tranche Allocation Payment is the payment made to the city based on the first tranche allocation.
- First Tranche Reallocation Payment is an additional payment made as part of a reallocation of funds from the first tranche.
- First Tranche Total Payment is the sum of the first tranche allocation payment and first tranche reallocation payment.
- Second Tranche Payment is the remaining amount of the full allocation distributed to NEU cities in 2022. This amount is the full allocation minus first tranche allocation payment & first tranche relocation payment.