About This View
The chart below shows the percentage and counts of offenders within Iowa Penitentiaries and Correctional Facilities by offense type of most serious crime convicted.
- Violent Crimes: assault, kidnapping, murder, manslaughter, robbery, rape and other sex offenses.
- Property Crimes: arson, burglary, forgery, fraud, theft, and vandalism (criminal mischief).
- Drug Crimes: manufacture, distribution, and possession of controlled substances; and drug tax stamp violations.
- Public Order Crimes: drunken driving, flight/escape, gambling, intoxication, prostitution, traffic violations, weapons (illegal possession, illegal trafficking, etc.).
- Other/Miscellaneous: animal-related violations, business violations, health/medical violations, and other court, criminal and government violations not easily classified in other categories.